Think big with us
GFI was founded on a big idea—that alternative proteins can set us on the path to a brighter food future. In 2022, GFI’s global teams advanced this big idea in big ways.
- We successfully advocated for the U.S. and California governments to prioritize alternative proteins.
- We expanded our global student movement to 36 total universities, growing a talent pipeline that is galvanizing the field.
- We influenced the Israeli and UK governments to declare alternative proteins an R&D priority and Brazil to invest in alternative protein R&D for the first time.
- We collaborated with the government of Singapore to serve 10 government ministers cultivated meat at the world’s largest and most important climate conference.
- We awarded more than $4 million in research grants to projects across 13 countries on five continents.
- We convened and connected a global network of innovators across science, policy, and industry who are growing the alternative protein ecosystem around the world.
OUR LATEST REPORT
Turning ideas into action
Learn how our big idea is shaping the future of food in GFI’s 2022 Year in Review. Together, we’re building a world where alternative proteins are no longer alternative.
Past annual reports
In 2021, GFI released life cycle and techno-economic assessments for cultivated meat and elevated alternative proteins as a global climate solution at the UN Food Systems Summit and COP26.
In 2020, GFI supported a proposal resulting in the U.S. National Science Foundation funding cultivated meat research and launched our ASAP Initiative to identify the field’s most pressing challenges.
In 2019, GFI grew government support for alternative proteins in the United States, India, Brazil, and Israel, and our grant program funded 14 open-access research projects.
In 2018, GFI launched our research grant program, hosted the inaugural Good Food Conference, and mounted a defense of plant-based meat and milk labeling across the U.S.
In 2017, GFI launched the world’s first university course on plant-based meat and supported more than 100 alternative protein startups.
In 2016, the year GFI was founded, we launched two alternative protein startups and accelerated innovation in the public and private sectors.
Let’s solve it together: an inside look
Get a behind-the-scenes look at GFI’s 2023 impact and plans. Together, we’re building a more sustainable, secure, and just food future.
Grow the good food future
Our research, insights, and advocacy are possible thanks to our global family of donors. Connect with us today to learn how you can help fuel this transformative work.