The range of fermentation-derived alternative protein products has expanded tremendously in the past several years. Driven by innovations in biotechnology that enable microbes like yeast and bacteria to produce proteins, fats/oils, and other ingredients, many foods can now be made using animal-free methods. Furthermore, the biomass fermentation industry has seen a rapid diversification in microbial species, production methods, and consumer products. These advancements have set the stage for fermentation-derived products to earn a widespread presence in food formulations and on store shelves.
However, access to manufacturing capacity and the technical capabilities required at different technology development stages and production scales has become a bottleneck for further growth.
This report aims to inform the effective scaling of fermentation production capabilities by:
- Capturing and identifying deficiencies in the global manufacturing capacity landscape of fermentation-derived products, as characterized by scale, global region, and customer focus.
- Exploring the trade-offs of different scaling strategies, including partnering with contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs), building greenfield sites, or retrofitting brownfield facilities and equipment as informed by industry expert interviews and analysis.
- Highlighting high-potential opportunities to retrofit existing fermentation facilities in parallel industries to reduce the cost and lead time of scaling fermentation capacity.
Watch our webinar
Get an overview of this new analysis, featuring the latest industry insights into effective strategies to scale fermentation-derived protein manufacturing capacity and bioprocessing capabilities to meet future demand.
Explore the reports
This white paper describes the existing global fermentation-derived product manufacturing landscape and strategies to effectively scale manufacturing capabilities to support technology development and meet future demand.
This action paper – intended specifically for policymakers – summarizes the key findings from this analysis and outlines recommended actions to facilitate the expansion of biomanufacturing for fermentation-derived food proteins and ingredients.
This action paper, intended specifically for industry participants, summarizes the key findings from this analysis and outlines recommended actions to facilitate the continued growth of the fermentation-derived protein and food ingredient industry.
About Integration Consulting
Integration is a global strategy and management consultancy with over 25 years of experience guiding clients from diverse industries through complex transformations for which there are no tried-and-tested paths to success. Our recent work across different parts of the food system value chain has recently included:
- Supporting plant-based meat companies in bringing their products to new markets.
- Designing circular economy models for packaging companies to reduce waste.
- Creating a disruptive roadmap for a cultured meat client to win in selected markets globally.
Learn about the emerging role of microbial fermentation in building the next generation of alternative protein products.
This report details the commercial landscape, investments, regulatory developments, and scientific progress in the fermentation for alternative proteins industry.
Use this directory to find co-manufacturers, pilot plants, co-packers, private labelers, and contract manufacturing consultants for alt proteins.