THE GOOD FOOD INSTITUTE ASIA PACIFIC
GFI APAC is looking for a Policy Specialist to be hired in, and focused on Singapore -the first country on the planet that approved a cultivated meat product for sales in December 2020- but cover the larger Southeast Asian region until we have boots on the ground. By working closely with governments, semi-governments and nonprofits, the Policy Specialist will have an immediate impact in catalyzing the movement to create a more sustainable, secure and just food system.
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to harness the power of food innovation and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of farm animals annually. Please read the 2020 Year in Review -in particular pages 8-11 on our Policy work- to find out more about who we are and what we do.
The Policy Specialist will be hired in and focused on Singapore -the first country on the planet that approved a cultivated meat product for sales in December 2020- but cover the larger Southeast Asian region until we have boots on the ground. By working closely with governments, semi-governments and nonprofits, the Policy Specialist will have an immediate impact in catalyzing the movement to create a more sustainable, secure and just food system.
How you will make a difference:
As GFI APACs Policy Specialist, you will radically transform the food system by:
- Developing GFI APACs policy programs and strategy for Singapore
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of Singapore’s food regulatory landscape, including government policies, priorities, a powermap reflecting the key decision-makers and a stakeholder engagement matrix.
- Develop, drive and manage the delivery of projects in an efficient and timely manner.
- Building and actively managing strong, meaningful, long-term relationships with impactful and relevant stakeholders in Singapore and Southeast Asia
- Inspire and expand support in acceleration of the plant-based, fermentation-derived and cultivated meat, egg and dairy industry amongst government agencies and officials, nonprofits and semi-governmental agencies.
- Strategize priority markets to focus on in Southeast Asia and develop and maintain a map of the food regulatory landscape, including government policies, priorities and key decision-makers for the top listed countries.
- Securing government support for open-access alternative protein R&D.
- Leverage relationships to influence decision-making and drive public funding towards most impactful R&D projects.
- Supporting governments in their aim for clear and efficient regulations so that more foods come to market safely and properly labeled.
- Act as a consultant to governments who are seeking advice while developing their regulations for novel food ingredients.
- Make relevant connections to colleagues from other GFI offices or external resources to help governments understand the science behind novel food technologies like fermentation and cultivated meat production.
- Advocating for public policy that places all proteins on a level playing field.
- Connecting with non-profits and semi-governmental organizations to work towards fair labeling policies for alternative proteins across Southeast Asia.
- Sharing best practices from the experiences at other GFI entities across the world to secure a smooth implementation of labels for alternative proteins in Southeast Asia.
- Identifying new and unique opportunities for engagement with stakeholders, and preparing compelling personalized project initiatives and progress reports.
- Design relevant projects, like roundtable discussions with the relevant government agencies to improve regulatory frameworks.
- Working with intergovernmental organizations to share best practices across the region.
- Presenting insights from across the planet on public sector alternative protein successes.
- Organize webinars and events to showcase best practices from across the globe to inspire Southeast Asian governments to prioritise support for open-access alternative protein R&D.
- Share regional best practices with the other regions where GFI is active, through collaboration with the GFI policy teams on the ground.
Who we’re looking for
Behavioural competencies we are looking for:
- Strategic relationship management.
- Strategy building and execution skills.
- Able to negotiate and Influence impactfully.
- Problem solving capabilities.
- Decision making skills.
- Flexibility and ability to manage change.
- Capacity to work independently and effectively.
- An upbeat, engaging personality that will attract new influencers to support our mission.
- Comfort with working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Willingness to occasional travel once travel restrictions cease.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
- A background in an international organization or governmental organization.
- Strong understanding of political, policy and regulatory processes, able to engage at high levels with government, parliamentary and industry stakeholders on complex regulatory matters.
- A strong understanding of Singapore culture and politics.
- A strong understanding of the diverse Southeast Asian region.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, proficiency in one other Asian language is a plus.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as economics, political science, public policy etc, with a preference for Master degree holders.
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience in a related field.
- A proven track record of a minimum of three years of previous relationship management: cultivating relationships with individuals, government and semi-governmental agencies.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Benefits and the fine print
Terms of Employment: Full time
Reports to: Acting Managing Director, GFI APAC
Benefits: Working from home, flexible working hours, opportunity to create real impact, respectful managers and supportive colleagues.
Application deadline: We will be assessing candidates on a rolling basis, so please apply now!
Application process: Please complete this short form, upload your CV and cover letter and complete a short task. Thank you. Your cover letter (of 1-2 pages) should set out:
- What motivated you to apply for this role?
- How do you meet the requirements listed in the job description?
- Which bit of the job description energises you the most?
Beyond the initial screening process, there will be several further rounds. We really look forward to hearing from you!
Any questions? If you have any questions about this role, please do reach out to us at email@example.com. If you’ve read this far but decided not to apply, please feel free to share this job description with someone else in your network who you think might be a good fit for the role! Thank you!
Alternative protein career portal
Learn how to make a career and find open positions in the exciting field of alternative proteins.